“Welcome to Rock ‘n Roll Fridays. We are like other memes in that we will ask you thirteen questions each and every Friday. But our little ‘twist’ is that each week we will pick a singer, band, era or category and pick thirteen of their songs. Each of our questions will be based on the lyrics… Today we picked Talking Heads.”
1. Psycho Killer “I can’t seem to face up to the facts, I’m tense and nervous and I can’t relax. I can’t sleep cuz my bed’s on fire. Don’t touch me I’m a real live wire…”
What has kept you from a restful night’s sleep recently?
Actually, the Daughter has had a few nightmares recently. The first time, she and I were awake from 3 a.m. trough the school/work day. Another time, she woke me from an especially sound sleep.
2. Life During Wartime “This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco…this ain’t no foolin around. No time for dancing or lovey dovey. I ain’t got time for that now…”
Where was the last nightclub or disco you went to?
It’s been years. I think it was in Schenectady in the early 1980s. I remember with whom I went.
3. Take Me To The River “Take me to the river. Dip me in the ocean. Take me to the river washing me down…”
When was the last time you took a dip in the water?
Probably Fred Hembeck’s pool three years ago.
4. Found A Job “Their show gets high ratings, they think they have a hit. There might be a spin off, but they’re not sure ‘bout that”
What is your favorite TV spin off show of all time?
It might be Lou Grant, a very EARNEST spinoff of the Mary Tyler Moore show. And my favorite theme song has to be the Jeffersons, a spinoff of All in the Family. I also have great affection for the first season of Mork & Mindy, a spinoff of Happy Days.
5. Once In A Lifetime “And you may ask yourself How do I work this? And you may ask yourself Where is that large automobile? And you may tell yourself This is not my beautiful house! And you may tell yourself This is not my beautiful wife!”
Are you happy with your choices of car, house and spouse/no spouse?
Our car is non-descript silver/gray; I can only find it in a parking lot by the license number. Strange, but I never had that trouble with our white Ford Taurus.
Being a homeowner is a pain.
My wife is pretty swell.
6. This Must Be The Place “Out of all those kinds of people, you got a face with a view. I’m just an animal looking for a home, share the same space for a minute or two…”
Who has a face with a view?
George Clooney. And I have no idea what the question is asking.
7. Girlfriend Is Better “I got a girlfriend that’s better than this, and you don’t remember at all. As we get older and stop making sense, You won’t find her waiting long…”
What is the shortest date or relationship you have ever had?
Actually, there was this friend of my now-wife’s, who I went out with, solely for the purpose of making Carol jealous; we were broken up at the time. And it worked, or at least it helped. But the date itself was over by 7:30 p.m.; we had nothing to say to each other.
8. Swamp “Everyone wants to explode. And when your hands get dirty, nobody knows you at all. Don’t have a window to slip out of . Lights on, nobody home”
Where was the last homeless person you saw and what was he/she doing?
Corner of Lark Street and Washington Avenue, asking for money for bus fare. I gave him 75 cents, and he did in fact get on the bus.
9. Road To Nowhere “We’re on the road to paradise. Here we go. We’re on a road to nowhere, come on inside. Takin that ride to nowhere, we’ll take that ride”
When was the last time you took a day trip or a road trip?
Probably to Vermont last year.
10. And She Was “The word was movin and she was right there with it and she was”
Are you keeping up with the world? What piece of modern technology do you still need to own/use?
I don’t NEED any piece of technology. I have no iPad or Kindle or Nook, and someday I’ll get one. Or not.
11. Wild Wild Life Sleepin on the interstate oh oh oh…getting wild wild life. Checkin in and checkin out oh oh oh, I got a wild wild life”
When was the last time you stayed at a motel/hotel and what town were you in?
In Charlotte, NC in February. Before that, a work conference in Syracuse last May.
12. Nothing But Flowers “Once there were parking lots, now it’s a peaceful oasis, you got it you got it. Once it was a pizza Hut, now it’s all covered with daisies. I miss the honky tonks, Dairy Queens and 7-11 s…”
What would you miss if nature grew back over malls and concrete?
Goodness, I wouldn’t miss a thing.
13. Building On Fire “When my love stands next to your love, I can’t define love, when it’s not love…”
Oh that’s…not easy. I mean there are so many types of love. I do like the definition of love of St. Thomas Aquinas, who defined love as “to will the good of another,” or to desire for another to succeed. So as Lyle Lovett sang it: “I love everybody, especially you.”