* My very good friend Karen used to live in Somerville, which is just north of the Cambridge, part of the area where a lot of the activity on Friday took place. Her sister, who I have known for decades, still lives in that section, and I was wondering how much she had directly affected by the shutdown.
* I won $17,600 on JEOPARDY! in Boston in 1998, with friends Karen and Judy, and Judy’s son Max in the audience.
* Some talking head wondered if the bombing in Boston would make Americans more sensitive to the ravages of war that take place in Afghanistan, Syria and elsewhere. My guess is no.
* A lot of bad info from CNN, who had reporter a bomber had been captured on April 17, then awkwardly walked back its own story on air later that afternoon.
* Amy’s poem Boston Meltdown reminded me why I stopped watching ABC News; it was the cult of personalty – “Diane Sawyer’s my friend!” – which rankles me.
* Some news analyst referred to the M.I.T. cop who was shot and killed as Continue reading A Boston marathon of random thoughts